The guy on the right brought the centre of Birmingham to a halt. After watching this video I find this a total mystery, but I guess I’m not his target audience! I found subtitles helpful.
The American actor and magician, Ricky Jay, has died.
Shoe-shop owner: “May I help you?”
Silver (Ricky Jay): “A friend of ours would like to speak to you this evening.”
Shoe-shop owner: “I just shine shoes.”
Silver (Ricky Jay): “There’ll be shoes there.”
Continue reading “Ricky Jay”
And after more than 40 days…
the rain came
An astonishing documentary about life in an Indian textile factory, available on the BBC iPlayer until the end of February: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09g8cc9/machines
On this bright, sunny morning I spotted my shadow on the wall and dashed upstairs to get the camera to capture it! The camera didn’t do a great job of focusing¹ on the darkness, but you get the idea.
[¹ Is it focussing or focusing?]
Between a walk to the village shops and the little ones coming for a visit, I was able to capture a few images of the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run as it passed by. It’s the longest-running motoring event in the world, the first run being in 1896. To qualify, the cars must have been built before 1905 and this year there were more than 400.
I needed a replacement camera battery. It’s £5 on the high street but just £2.16 online (with free delivery). It’s the size of a 1p coin and I was expecting it to come in a jiffy bag, delivered by the postman, through the letterbox. Instead, it came by courier van in a big box. I can’t see how this can be profitable for the supplier…
And I ordered the wrong battery, so I have re-ordered the right one, in another big box!
- I accepted a religious pamphlet from a street missionary and put it in the first available bin. Maybe I should have returned it to the missionary further down the street who tried to give me another one.
- The ATM outside a bank shortchanged me by £20. I only spotted this because the machine was taking ages to print the receipt and was also still attempting to eject one of the notes . This wouldn’t have happened if I had been prepared to queue at the machines inside the bank. (Queue? See later!)
- The man in the small newsagents refused my i newspaper subscription voucher – it takes too long to get payment back, he said.
- On only my second visit to Wilco I abandoned my budget notebook on seeing the 10-deep checkout queues. There should be a bin near the checkouts so that customers unprepared to wait in the queue can abandon their goods rather than leaving them on a random shelf, as I did.
- At home, my bank’s Internet banking site has an option to report problems with ATM transactions, which was helpful and suggests it’s a fairly common event.
- A very fine evening interacting with old friends on our first visit to the excellent Mute Swan pub in Hampton Court. Good food, lots of space between tables, and for a Saturday night not too noisy. I shouldn’t have finished with a strong, black coffee, but that’s another story.