The Plaza cinema in Southampton, with its ornate surroundings, was claimed to be the most luxurious film theatre in the south.
Many local people will remember two distinctive features about the Plaza; the double seats in the back row, much in demand by courting couples, and the illuminated Compton organ that used to rise from the floor.
One of the most popular events held at the Plaza was the children’s Saturday morning club during which the cinema’s chief projectionist, the late Ken Batten would play the organ and screen a serial, cartoon and main feature for the youngsters.
The Plaza closed on Saturday, November 30, 1957.
This is an edited extract from an article in the Southern Evening Echo.