My next two long walks
With the Solent Way out of the way it’s time to prepare another challenge. As with previous long walks I will do them in stages, using public transport wherever possible to get to/from the starting/end points. I try to keep stages to be between 8 and 12 miles.
The first walk will be from Salisbury to Winchester using the Clarendon Way (26 miles) followed by Winchester to Farnham using the St Swithun’s Way (34 miles).
I found the guides, below, to help me on my way:
The Clarendon Way
The Clarendon Way – 26 miles
(Salisbury to Winchester)
A 24 mile walk joining the two Wessex cities of Salisbury and Winchester. The Clarendon Way crosses the Test Valley between Kings Somborne and Houghton. It starts near the Avon at Salisbury Cathedral and ends beside the waters of the Itchen in the heart of Winchester.
Possible timings (3 stages)
Stage 1 (7 miles) Leave home (9:20) then 9:42 from station to CJ (10:07), then 10:27 to Salisbury (11:43) leaving 4 hours to do the walk and possibly visit the pub
- Walk Salisbury to Middle Winterslow (7 mile mark).
The Lord Nelson Arms looks worth a visit though the timing might not be right. Closed Monday/Tuesday, food from 12pm to 1:30 (closes 2pm)
- From Middle Winterslow take bus 88 to Salisbury at 15:43 arriving 16:10. See https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/salisburyreds/SWWD/87-timetable-20221114-4c527fec.pdf
Stage 2 (7+3 miles) Leave home (8:20) then 8:42 from station to CJ (9:07), then 9:27 to Salisbury (10:43)
- Take Salisbury bus 88 at 11:35 arriving Middle Winterslow (7 mile mark) at 12:03.
See https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/salisburyreds/SWWD/87-timetable-20221114-4c527fec.pdf leaving 4+ hours to do the walk (10 miles)
- Walk Middle Winterslow to Houghton (14 mile mark).
The Boot Inn looks worth a visit though the timing is almost certainly not right. Closed Mondays, food from 12pm
- Walk 3 miles to Stockbridge to pick up bus 7 to Winchester at 16:23 arriving 17:06. BUT ONLY on Sparsholt College days! See WI7 04Sep22 timetable.pdf (tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com)
Stage 3 (12 miles) Leave home (9:20) then 9:42 from station to CJ (10:07), then 10:27 to Basingstoke (11:06) then 11:11 to Winchester (11:26)
- Winchester (bus 16) 12:15 to Houghton (14 mile mark) arrive 13:03.
See Winchester Route 16_19-11-20_V1.pdf (tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com)
- Walk 12 miles to Winchester (26 mile mark).
St Swithun’s Way
St Swithun’s Way – 34 miles
(Winchester to Farnham)
St Swithun’s Way runs between Winchester and Farnham. Unable to follow the original route, as much of this is now the A31, St Swithun’s Way follows some of the county’s best countryside paths. Starting at Winchester Cathedral, the route passes through the Itchen Valley. It then continues northeast passing the towns of Alresford and Alton, as well as Chawton, the home of Jane Austen. Following the path of the River Wey, the route reaches Farnham in Surrey and continues to Canterbury.